Monday, June 06, 2011

An Ironic Line

Years ago, I remember my mom saying that she'd never drive a Cadillac because so many people wanted them.  I was thinking about that recently when thinking about how I was scorned for having mentioned Folgers coffee on Facebook.  The coffee snobs were so vicious that I got a little bit offended.  Their vitriol was unnecessary.  And they go to my church!

I'm sorry, but I can't drink Starbucks every day.  The cost (financial and caloric) would ruin me.

And if I did, it wouldn't be the special treat that it is when I do get Starbucks.

And so, I reasoned, since I don't know the pedigree of the office drip (of which I drink 2-3 cups a day), if I go too high quality on the weekend, I might go into shock on Monday morning.  (Am I snobby for using the word pedigree?  Pffft.... too bad.)

So when I found myself brewing up a pot this weekend (it would also get two pouches of sucrolose and a tablespoon of either French Vanilla or Hazelnut creamer) I got a little angry at the coffee snobs.

I felt like drinking it defiantly and I realized that it was pretty close to drinking it ironically.  That there's a fine line between stubbornness and hipsterism and one must be careful.

No comments: