Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Rachel's Recital

Rachel had a ballet recital last night. It was nice, but I think she needs a better teacher. I know we're talking little kids, but it was obvious that the children from every group were too dependent on watching the teacher offstage to lead them through the moves. I think she did pretty well. I didn't know what the performance was supposed to look like, but I saw a few times where she just confidently went where it seemed like she was supposed to and even a few times where she was trying to help another girl find her spot. Lori said that she's heard of classes where your hair has to be in a bun when you get there, or you can't dance until it is. Harsh? Not necessarily, it sets a tone.

I don't know if they didn't have enough time to learn their routine, or if the teacher was trying for routines that were too much of a stretch.

But, on the other hand, she really had a great time doing it.

If you see the video, she has a frowny face throughout the performance, but Lori thinks that she was just concentrating really hard on her performance.

I guess Rachel's class was having trouble at the dress rehearsal. Lori said that she and Rachel practiced blocking with stuffed animals this week.

Rachel was, however, upset afterwards. Not emotionally, but physically. By bedtime, her stomach really hurt and she said she was going to throw up. Fortunately, she didn't. But I wonder if she's getting to the stage where she gets nervous about being in front of audiences. This is how I've been and even sometimes still am - fine beforehand, but afterwards stomach's all twisted up. I find that as time goes on, I get less confident in front of the group and more nervous beforehand, instead of my body waiting until afterwards to send all of the signals.

No comments: