Sunday, June 06, 2021

Recent Reads

Some stuff I've read recently... these are Amazon links, you can buy the books and I'll get a few pennies in the process. (I used to say you were funding my coffee, but really, you're helping to buy me more books. If it's coffee, check out Drink Trade - and get a free bag of coffee!) 

Space Team (Volumes 1-12) by Barry J. Hutchison

These are popcorn books for science fiction fans.  I found myself devouring them at the start and then reading less and less as I got closer to the end, not wanting it to end. Incarcerated for identity theft, due to a case of mistaken identity, Cal Carver ironically is abducted from his cell by aliens. Up until that point, no one knew there was anyone else in the galaxy besides humans. Still processing this, Cal learns he's the last remaining human due to another clerical error. And thus begins twelve volumes of adventures, escapades, romps and capers across a galaxy filled with all kinds of interesting people, some of whom are nice. There are good books, not-as-good books, a few odd shifts in the "universe," some embarrassing titles and a good time I was sorry to see end. A satisfying set of stories with many, many laugh-out-loud moments.

Not One of Us by Debbie Herbert 

Years ago, high school girl's boyfriend and parents vanish. She finishes school, moves to the big city and starts her life. But now, she's back in the small town because her autistic brother's caregiver (her grandma) may no longer be able to care for her. Oh, and she has synesthesia -  she can see sounds. You learn this at the beginning and I really can't help you if it's not immediately obvious that this will come into play. The disappearance of that family isn't the only secrets the town holds and soon people start dying. And anyone and everyone is suspect. The protagonist is a middle-aged Matilda surrounded by cops whose lack of proper procedure (compared to what we see on TV) is astounding and, well, it's all just a mess. Halfway through the book we find out what happened to the family and you'd think it would have been a bigger deal, but it wasn't. 

A Deadly Influence (Abby Mullen #1) by Mike Omer

I liked Detective Abby Mullen. I didn't like most of the other characters in this book. You know how some stories constantly throw plot twists at you? I kept waiting for the plot twists here and they never came. Maybe some characters didn't play exactly the part I was suspecting, but apparently the detective was a superb judge of character. An interesting, modern idea overall, but I didn't much care for it.  I think I would give book two a try, though, since none of the prominent characters in this book would be back for a second call, as near as I can tell.

No comments: