Tuesday, May 29, 2012

husband and father

Part 2 of what may be a very long series.

Interesting things happened today. The thing I was working on at work but didn't think was a fit for me. It was cancelled. And I was actually a lot more disappointed than I would have thought. It was a temporary cancellation and I resolved to ask to be put back on it when it picked back up. I decided I wanted to see it through, I wanted to prove I could do it, and I believed in what it was. Well, some other people got pretty mad, things were said, others got even madder, meetings were held and by the end of the day, it was uncancelled and I quickly retrieved a bunch of stuff from my recycle bin.

Anyhow, this post isn't about that.

There was a time when I thought I wasn't going to get married. There's some history behind that but it just seemed like that was the way things were heading. And then here I am today, married more than a decade to a really awesome woman. I like being married to Lori. I like waking up next to her in the mornings, laughing, telling jokes, marveling at our kids and the crazy things they do. I like working on projects around the house and yard with her. I like talking through stuff, learning new things, comparing notes on books we've both read. And she's really smart, so I'm always learning stuff from her. And then there's kissing and stuff, but that's none of your business. I also enjoy quiet walks with her and sitting alone in a restaurant with her on the rare moments we're able to get away alone. Oh, and it's cool when she's up singing in front of the church.

Children were a blessing - there was a period there where we were thinking we weren't going to have children. I don't want to make too big a deal of it because there are people who have gone through much, much more than us. But now, here they are. And they both unique special needs. They are both wonderful in their own right, though sometimes it feels like we could do more to help one child if the other was typically developing. But we make do. Lori bears the largest part of that. There are some times when the noise can get overwhelming, or the inability to just take off. But to see Rachel learn a new skill, or the talks we take to Starbucks. Or to work with Ben on a therapy task, or to hear his amazing laugh. Or the way he just pulls me to him and hugs me at the dinner table.

If I didn't have to work, I would stay home with my family.

No comments: