Sunday, April 18, 2010

Hatred of Logic

(Actually written on Saturday)

I love how we tend to blame others or circumstances or even try to discount laws of the universe when things don't go as we want. This afternoon, Rachel was asking to watch TV. We went over her list of responsibilities and she'd completed, all but one. She didn't want clean her room, she said.

So I told her that didn't make sense. She didn't understand what was so difficult to understand about wanting to watch TV. We simply needed to turn it on for her.

I held up my hand and showed three fingers. I held up my other hand and showed one finger. And I said, "Ok, so we know that 3 plus 1 equals 4, right? So we can go the other way and (reversing the number of fingers raised per hand) we know that 1 plus 3 equals 4."

So I held up one fist and said this is your responsibilities, this is cleaning your room.

And then I held up the other fist - this is watching TV.

In order to get to watch TV, you need to do your responsibilities first. (Put the other fist under the first fist.)

"So, if you want to watch TV, that must mean you also want to clean your room."

"But I don't want to clean my room."

"Then this means you don't want to watch TV."

"Well, this is logic. If you want to do that, you need to do this. If you don't want to do this, you don't want to that."

"I don't like logic. I hate logic."

Ah, good times, good times. The room was cleaned, the TV was watched. Justice and logic prevailed.