Friday, April 07, 2006

The Book Report

Ok, a new week is just about to begin and I believe "Marley and Me" is still at the top of the charts. This might be a good time to solidify the rules to my little experiment. The whole goal is to (a) learn new things, (b) be exposed to things I would not otherwise be exposed to, (c) stay a little more current - without having to do any work myself.

  1. To that end, I will let others dictate what I read - if there is a new #1 on the New York Times Bestseller List for Nonfiction Hardcover, I must purchase and read it from cover to cover, regardless of the subject matter.


  2. In the event that the same title remains at the top of the chart for more than one week, I may, at my discretion, choose from the top seller in any other chart (other NYTimes lists, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, etc.)


  3. I post -- in a timely manner -- my thoughts on the book. I may post while reading, but certainly, at the end, I must post again.


  4. I may add other books to the reading list for no reason other than (a) they were laying around the house or (b) they looked interesting or (c) they were recommended by a friend, family member or colleague.

1 comment:

James said...

E-mail from a friend:

Mitch Albom needs to write some longer books. I really enjoyed (unsure if that's the most appropriate sentiment) "5 People" and "Tuesdays with Morrie" but was able to plow through each of them in a day or two of casual effort. Unfortunately, everything else is sports writing.

I tried something similar as your NYT non-fic experiment a few years ago, and ran into the same problems with popularity surges on material that just isn't that compelling. Sports doping? Yawn.

good luck with it.