Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy New Year!

In another hour the morons in the neighborhood will be out of firecrackers and we can get to bed. In the meantime, I'll go hang out with my dog who's cowering against the floor shaking.

I feel bad for Dick Clark. He tried hard, but I think he should have retired. Not because someone who had a stroke shouldn't be allowed to welcome in the new year on national television but because you could just tell from his voice that he wanted to give more than he was able to give.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You know, I really wasn't going to go off on another in a long line of tirades about how Dick Clark screwed me. I don't think it's fair to publicly kick a man when he's down (though last night, in the privacy of my apartment surrounded by friends I gave him several swift kicks... metaphorical kicks, that is). I watched Dick Clark for many years, and worked for him for a few years, too. I've never taken away (nor could I) any of his accomplishments, as he has achieved success and fame. But, and this is the truth, Dick Clark no longer rocks. He hadn't rocked for years before the stroke, and he continues to not rock today. Dick Clark hosting New Year's Rockin' Eve is about the silliest notion on TV today, and that's saying quite a bit. What's next, Bobcat Goldthwait as host of Masterpiece Theater?

Clark's appearance seemed to me to be little more than a vanity play on his part. Were he not executive producer of the show, would he have been allowed to reprise his role as host? Not likely. So, as long as he's going to place himself in the spotlight, people (myself included) can and should feel free to be critical of him.

Besides, he still owes me money.