Friday, October 08, 2004

There Is No One Superior To Me

I know I rail often against Sprint PCS because of how much they have sucked, continue to suck and always will suck, and I often tell you how phenomenal Verizon Wireless is. But, they are not without their faults, so it's only fair I relate a recent problem I had with Verizon Wireless. Happy Ending, but unhappy process.

I recently made a trip to the east coast. I knew that my plan only covered the west coast, so I called Verizon Wireless to find out if they had any plans that covered the entire country that was comparable to what I had. They described a plan to me and I said I'd confer with my wife and call back. Well, I did call back, and indicated that I wanted the plan. The operator confirmed and said it would start with the next billing cycle, two days into my trip. Fine, I had colleagues with national plans who said I could use their phones during the trip.

On the day we were to leave, I called Verizon Wireless to confirm that the new plan would be going into effect and they confirmed that it was. So I flew to Virgina and didn't use the phone for two days. On the new plan day, I began using my phone.

Imagine my surprise when I opened my e-mail and saw a bill for $36 more than I was expecting, and that all of it was out of area roaming. I was confused and annoyed so I called Verizon Wireless. They said they had no record of the call to place the order and the call the day of the trip I just asked general questions about roaming, according to the notes.

WTH? Uh, no. The woman was not that polite at all. I realized I was going to get nowhere with her and said "Ok, I guess I need to take it to the next level." and she said "You want to upgrade to a new plan?"

Uh, no. I said "No, I want you to transfer me to someone more superior." To which she replied "Sir, there is no one more superior, but I will transfer you to a manager." I'd swear I couldn't believe my ears, but yes, that is indeed what she said. Manager came on not too long later, I related the entire story again, she credited me the full amount and hooked me up with the other plan.

Happy Ending, but by did that first representative suck.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

>I said "No, I want you to transfer me to someone more superior." To which she replied "Sir, there is no one more superior, but I will transfer you to a manager."

I have to side with my fellow customer service worker on this one. I have often stolen the line from one of the Spenser novels, "I have no superiors... I may not even have an equal," when someone gives me the same line you gave her. But then, I'm anal about language. When people would call Kinko's and ask, "Are you open 24 hours," I'd reply, "I'm not, but the store is." Or when they call and ask "Exactly where are you located," I'd reply, "In front of the cash register. Now would you like to know where the store is located?"

Military men have superior officers. Poor, dejected phone lackeys have managers. It's a small point but I'd have done the same thing.

James said...

Yes, but you're a smart ass. Don't get me wrong, that's one of the things I love about you. But you'd make a horrid customer service agent. Although you are too good for Sprint PCS. The customers and other employees wouldn't get your jokes.

They may be called managers, but I think the term "superior" is still technically correct...

Higher than another in rank, station, or authority.
Situated above or directed upward.

James said...

Stupid blog. Cut me off. On my own blog. What's up with that.

1. Higher than another in rank, station, or authority.
2. Situated above or directed upward.

I wanted to be directed upward, to someone of a higher authority. While I'll concede that is most commonly thought of in military terms, I don't think it was wrongly applied here.

But that's not the point. I realize that Customer Service is designed to help when they can, and prevent refunds the rest of the time. But there comes a point in time where it seems like if you're always passing off angry people to your manager who weren't angry when they first called, that maybe that's not such a good idea. Or maybe someone answering Customer Service calls at 10 pm could care less.

By the way, Happy Birthday.