Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Doing the Work

I was having a conversation with my daughter the other day.  We were talking about consuming calories and expending calories and the safe way to lose weight (and unsafe ways).  That it was all math.  But as I explained it to her, I came to a realization: I just didn't want to do the work.  That rattled around in my brain for the day and I realized that it ultimately wasn't true.

As much as I like things just coming to me, that's not a good motto.  If I want something, I must do the work.  And in this case, it was easy to discount the other times I've lost weight and said "Oh, it actually wasn't work."  But it was.  

And it has to be this time as well.  When we moved here in March of 2006, I weighed about 40 pounds more than I do now.  That first summer, before Lose-It!, before running, I actually lost close to 30 pounds.  Parts of it wasn't intentional - I was getting to work early and walking before work, I was walking at lunch (being in a new environment with great walking weather) and to delay my arrival home after work (I was a temp being paid by the hour so it was easier to leave right at 5, but I wanted to reduce my exposure to my mother-in-law who was staying with us, I'd walk more afterwards as well.  I had my bright shiny new iPod at that point and had some music on it.

So it was work, but it didn't seem like it.  I wasn't counting calories and I wasn't even necessarily eating carefully, but it was enough.  Until I kinda stopped.  And then I put a bit back on.  A few more got me to within 2 pounds of where I wanted to be (9 pounds below now) and then I gave up again.  That's been my habit, almost getting there and then stopping for some stupid reason or another.

But, darn it, I was willing to do the work. So Sunday I tracked it all and even ran.  No run on Monday, but maybe tonight if the timing and weather are decent.  So I will track, I will do the work.  And when I get there, I will celebrate, but I will not be stupid.  I will track pretty regularly, and when I need to, I'll go back into crunch mode.  But I won't let it get to where I've let it get to.  


Because, seriously, how stupid is that?  A whole year, by some accounts, wasted.  

Alright... time to do the work.

No comments: